Prestons of Potto was established in 1936 as an agricultural contracting business by Richard Preston Snr. Richard Preston used steam engines for Threshing and Wood Sawing duties in the North Yorkshire area.
In 1957 Richard Preston was approached by a brick manufacturer who was struggling to find transport owing to the diesel shortage during the Suez Crisis. A deal was struck and traction engine Lightning II hauled 20 tonnes of bricks between Darlington and Ampleforth every day for 3 months. When diesel became readily available again Richard Preston purchased a lorry to maintain the contract and the haulage company was founded.
The company soon gained contracts to transport steel manufactured on the Cleveland Coast, and the development of the Teesside chemical industry allowed Prestons of Potto to evolve in to the company which it is today.
Prestons of Potto has established itself as one of the most widely recognised road hauliers, and this was recognised in 2011 when the company was voted in the Top 5 all-time UK hauliers.
Contact us for more information.